Friday, April 3, 2020

Wonton soup and a hug

Comfort food take center stage. Please and thank you for your ability to make just a moment seem ok and feeding our feelings with something a bit tastier.

Here's another food memory, wonton soup, partially from my mom but more so from my sister. (Sis is still alive and it seems dire to even have to clarify but it's the reality these days.)

I've never made this or many of the other recipes I've been trying these last few weeks, but I need to be comforted and so does my House. My mom cooked to comfort, my sister cooks to comfort, and I cook to comfort. Now is the time to embrace these meals and gain a few pounds. It's ok.

When I chatted with my sister about this recipe, she, just like my mom does not write down her recipes. No actual measurements for anything, but I've got the gist and I remember the way it's suppose to taste. So I took what I remember from my mom, what my sister told me, and a little internet research and came up with this recipe.

It took a couple of hours to prepare but it was comforting, much like a hug from my mom and sis.



Pork Wonton Soup

Makes roughly 60 wontons and soup for 8 - 10 people



Pork Wonton Soup RecipePork Wontons

1 lb ground pork
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1/2 inch of ginger, finely diced
1 TBL fish sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of white pepper
2 tsp sugar
Wonton wrappers (sometimes called eggroll wrapper, needs to be about 4" x 4")

Mix all ingredients above (except wrappers) together in large bowl. Lay out a sheet pan and large plate to assemble wontons. Pre-separate about 10 wrappers and lay out individually. They are hard to separate on the fly while rolling.

Place a single wrapper on the plate, wet down the top half with a water dipped finger. Place about a rounded teaspoon of filling in the center of the wrapper, fold the bottom half over the top and seal. Press air out from the center around the filling to the edges. Leave like this or get fancy with your wonton folds.

Place on sheet pan, repeat until all wrappers or filling has been used.

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Place 10 - 12 wontons gently into water and stir after 2 mins. Wontons will rise to the surface, gently simmer wontons for 4-5 mins (or until filling is cooked). With a slotted spoon, remove wontons to a covered dish to keep warm.



Wonton Soup Base

2 boxes chicken broth (32 oz each)
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced

In a large pot, bring to a boil all soup base ingredients except green onions. Turn down and simmer for 15 minutes, add green onions and cook for another 10 mins.
Serve warm wontons in a bowl with a nice ladle of soup. If you've got fresh cucumbers or radishes, slice those up and serve on the side. Creates a nice fresh contrast.

Go make some soup! Or something comforting that gives you a nice warm hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment