Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TWD - Riesling Poached Apricot Marzipan Tartlets

Ok, I promise, pinky promise that the next TWD recipe I will follow to a T! I swear it! What is the next one...popovers...sure I can do that, I can make a recipe and not tinker with it or completely change it up so that it's not even recognizable. Sure.

Now let me explain. I didn't do the galette because last TWD I did a galette (mini galettes). I send my baked goods to work with my husband and there are about 50 or so employees and I just want to make it easy for each or as many as possible to enjoy a bite. I know it's easy to cut up a pie or a galette, but come on who cuts it up equally so that you can have 50 pieces. Ok, that doesn't make sense, but you see what I'm getting at, right?

And since I did mini galettes last week I needed to do something different this week. So I went back to pie/tart shape. I think this is technically a tart dough, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

But maybe you are asking why did I do tartlettes this week, when I could have done them last week and did mini galettes this week and followed closer to the recipe, huh? The answer: I dunno. Moving on.

As for using apricots and marzipan and not mixed berries, well I did not realize but berry season is long gone  here at the base of the rockies. So dried apricots and marzipan from the cupboard made sense. Plus I had a wee bit of riesling that needed to be used up. So toss some sugar, cardamom pods, crushed vanilla beans and the riesling in the pot with the apricots and tada!


Vintage year

Now this week I did use the dough recipe. My recipe from last week is the foolproof pie dough from Cook's Illustrated. I LOVE IT! It's so freakin tasty and easy to throw together, it's supper, dupper flaky and is just great to eat, but kind of hard to work with. This week's recipe is super easy to work with, the cornmeal is fun and it's nice and sturdy and it tastes good too. I think I shall add it to my repertoire.

To see this magical recipe, go here and here and then here. (That last one was just for fun.)

Even though this wasn't a 2 am genius moment, I think I'll still call Martha and tell her about these.

Adorable, right?

And they are really the cutest things ever, well almost.


7 comments:

  1. I think you did the right thing in rescuing the Reisling. Great idea - I like where you went with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apricots with cardamom and riesling sound like the perfect plan! Gorgeous little tartles. I usually have to change ingredients too, you have company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are amazing! And it's so kind of you to think x 50!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound amazing!! And yes, they are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about to purchase 9lbs or local organic peaches and apricots. This looks like a tasty outcome. Love marzipan! How are you at preserves and fruit spreads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only done a few quick jams...a pineapple, lemongrass and apple. Don't know about peaches or apricots, that might be a ReBecca question.

      Delete